Saturday 23 June 2018

Now Teaching: Week 42

"Now Teaching: Week 42" is also "Now Parenting: Week 1"

Sunday. Still being sick, I wake up around 11am (though was up for an hour or so around 7:30am). We get the call shortly after to come in for noon. We’re in room 11, the procedure starts a bit after 2pm. (I grade papers when we wait.) A-L’s parents come in, I pop home to pick up pills, iPad, and to have another attempt at a nap, return for 6pm. Stay until about 10pm.

Shortly after I get home, 10:30pm, balloon fell out, things are happening. (I’d started eating cold pizza and watching a video before bed.) Another call before 11pm, and then after - I should come in, nurse is continually monitoring, could go to Caesarian. I arrive by 11:45pm just before the epidural begins, help out. Contractions are sporadic.

Then, a waiting game. Nurses trade off. A-L gets some sleep, I must have been unconscious for a bit as the helicopter arrival at 3am stirs me. Around 4am I go to trade an empty tissue box for the one in my car. By about 4:45am there’s been issues. Caesarian is called just before 4:50am, Alexandra is born at 5:02am, then after cutting the cord I stay with her as they X-Ray Anne-Lise for instruments (routine).

Moved to a private room about 8:30am, call both sets of parents, I leave after 9:30am dead on my feet. Paternity leave for Monday (champagne in the hospital) and Tuesday (first bath), return Wednesday for first exam, and then leave to pick up my best ladies from hospital. Stress levels vary from a 9 when I’m trying to gas up the car after a long day to a 1 when I’m holding her in my arms. Be that at 7pm or 2am.

All those medical appointments in Sept/Oct might make more sense now. Oh, and Anne-Lise gave me an amazing Father’s Day gift. So yeah, how was your week?
Previous INDEX Next

*
Item counts run Sunday (June 17) to Saturday (June 23).

Step Count 2017: About 55,400 (22 stars).
STEP COUNT 2018: Over 63,000. 14 stars.

THIS TIME LAST YEAR:
-Wrote stats parody, caught up in reading serials/comics.

SchoolMail 2017: 38 (2 sent)
SCHOOL EMAIL 2018: 147 New (28 sent)
Up to Day 190189, or something. (Oh, 30+ msgs about kiddo.)



TEACHING RELATED ITEMS:
 -Graded large part of 3U Summatives
 -Graded large part of 3U Summatives Set2
 -Graded Finance tasks for 3U
 -Graded Finance tasks for 3U Set2
 -Phone calls/Emails to 3U danger cases
 -Graded 4U Exams
 -Graded some 4U Summative Projects
 -Mei-Len retirement Thurs
 -Co retirement (& songwriting) Fri

WRITING + ART RELATED ITEMS:
 -Thursday stArt Faire Comic Chat
 -Short post to start off next “Epsilon”

OTHER ITEMS:
 -Birth of Daughter, several hospital trips
 -Dinner with parents Monday
 -Breakfast with parents Tuesday
 -With A-L parents Wed/Sat (+DQ)
 -Daughter Doctor Apt Friday
 -10 tips of “25 Things Every New Dad Should Know”
 -Lotus Prince’s “Typing/House of the Dead” (except 4)

UPCOMING FOR SURE:
 -EVERYTHING IS DUE AND HAPPENING WHAT

STUFF TO SCHEDULE FOR 2018:
 -Recap for OAME 2018
 -Recap for ConBravo 2017
 -Recap for CanCon 2017
 -Write a TANDQ article on Polling and Bias
 -Write a post about types of praise/encouragement
 -Catching up with web serials
 -Read some of the books sitting at my desk


RH Stress Level: 7 (Starlight Breaker)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've seen you any happier than in that photo. Congrats again to you and A-L on the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's been a journey. The nurse did a great job with the photo.

      Delete