Saturday, 12 August 2017

Now Teaching: Week -3

I will be coming back after a year away from teaching. Presently, there are nine weeks until the start of school (which is right after labour day) but any teacher who doesn’t come in at least once in the week prior to that (to figure out classroom setup, make photocopies, et cetera, all at no pay) is crazy. So if that’s “Week 0”, we’re at “Week -3”.

I’ve been scrambling to do any and all things not related to teaching, from becoming active on the comic site “Tapas” (Tapastic), to working out remaining Series Scans, to pulling out old writing projects. Some of which I’ve begun tossing onto my FB page for writing, since why not. I’ve also been catching up on serials I read. And I got caught in a Twitter thread about Cdn Math Teachers, so seeing 20+ notifications one day was a surprise. Oh, and there was my 9th anniversary to my wonderful wife.

This was also the week my Ink & Insights results came in for “The Girl Who Speaks With Algebra” (first 10k words). Four judges, with a huge breakdown, and for three of them I was in the top 90% of possible scores. It was the one judge who had me a bit lower than that who seemed to GET it, nailing a key problem - it’s two stories. It’s Sine’s story with statistics, and Rose’s story with her sexuality, and that’s awkward. (The highest score I got, they saw Sine as entering Rose’s unconscious mind.) I’m actually bad for plot mashups (it’s literally happening again in “Epsilon” RIGHT NOW) which may explain why I have trouble finding an audience. Nice that I can apparently pull off first person with an 18 year old lesbian girl though?

So, LOTS on the creativity, NOTHING on the computer science, to the point of deciding today, screw it, doing that next week. My future self may regret this, but at least others might like that I’ve been dropping comments out into the web, and right now, there needs to be more happiness in the world.

*
Item counts run Sunday (Aug 6) to Saturday (Aug 12).

Step Count 2016: About 50,700.
STEP COUNT 2017: Over 60,200. 26 stars.
Ran with Anne-Lise again, saw a local bunny, but no camera.

THIS TIME LAST YEAR:
-Shelved the Math Comic after seeing Analytic tag results (returned Oct 31st).
-Experienced engagement with T&T Serial site, while writing new Book 4 passages.
-Caught up with “Sailor Moon Crystal” and met financial advisor.

School Email Count: 9 New (0 sent)
(There’s a local math workshop Aug 29th.)



TEACHING RELATED ITEMS:
 -No. Must I? Dammit. -. .-

WRITING + ART RELATED ITEMS:
 -Drew, inked and coloured strip for Monday.
 -Wrote “Series Scan” for Erased.
 -Thursday StArt Faire Comic Chat.
 -Wrote an “Epsilon Project” serial entry.
 -Completed T&T edits for RRL (parts 88-96).
 -Started an RWBY Vol 1 series scan.

OTHER ITEMS:
 -Mowed lawn and related care.
 -Medical appointment Tuesday.
 -Yoga Tuesday.
 -Medical appointment Wednesday (TLC).
 -Went out for Anniversary dinner. (Fraser’s Cafe.)
 -Massage for shoulder Thursday.

UPCOMING FOR SURE:
 -Programming stuff. Sigh.

STUFF I MAY NEVER GET TO:
 -Recap for ConBravo 2017
 -Write a TANDQ article on Polling and Bias
 -Write a post about types of praise/encouragement
 -Organize all the paper clutter from school
 -Organize all the electronic clutter from school
 -Weed through/organize emails
 -French Citizenship project
 -Binging Anime (RWBY borrowed from Scott)
 -Read some of the books sitting at my desk
 -Complete old fusion fanfic
 -Do an entire (illustrated?) series on “Bias”


RH Stress Level: 1 (Evasion, Flier Fin)

No comments:

Post a Comment