Saturday, 4 June 2016

Not Teaching: Week -4

I am taking a year off of teaching. Presently, there are four weeks left of school. (Two instructional, one for exams, one for promotion meetings, inventory, phone calls, etc) Why a year off afterwards? See my 2013 post “Year of Hell”. However, I plan to run a weekly blog over the coming year, because sure, why not have updates 3 times per week instead of twice!


No Previous! INDEX Next

This post, with me still in school, will ideally remind me of what June is like, and generally act as a contrast to later posts. Heck, I’m curious as to whether I’ll have a learned response to stress in January and June of 2017. Not to mention whether this is anything like where YOU are at this time of year?

Item counts run Sunday (May 29) to Saturday (June 4).

Step Count: About 65,900.
That’s something I suspect I’ll lose, as most of my non-teaching pursuits are sedentary. That’s also an unusually high amount, due to last Sunday including ‘Anime North’ (Saturday alone, which isn’t included, had 22,434 steps - a new record).


Pictured: Current state of my teaching desk at work.

Teaching Related Items (from Sun to Sat):
 -Finalized a test. Generated a review.
 -Marked two sets of tests (about 120 pages)
 -Feedback generated for six rough data summative reports
 -Finalized the MCT Summative (regressions) optimized for Desmos or TI-83 (that got interesting)
 -Secretary duties for Annual General Meeting (AGM) for Carleton-Ottawa Mathematics Organization (COMA)
 -Returned a phone call and met with a parent after school
 -A couple other calls related to students with week old tests
 -Helped out with the Grad Breakfast (~45 min Thurs)
 -Donated to students doing “Relay for Life” and dropped by after school (~60 min Fri)
 -Usual Anime Club, Friday lunch


Pictured: Current state of my writing desk at home.

Writing/Art Related Items (from Sun to Sat):
 -Managed a post about Supergirl which I’d been trying to pull together for a week.
 -2,000 words on my web serial, posting Sundays (it takes about 5 hrs)
 -This post. Written in the living room. (The desk itself still has my "Anime North" merchandise stacked on it.) Of note, my math webcomic update had been buffered from before AN.

Other unrelated items (not teaching or writing):
 -COMA dinner after the AGM on Monday.
 -Doctor’s appointment on Wednesday.
 -Dentist appointment on Thursday.
 -Booked in to attend ConBravo (July) and got a hotel.
 -Watched Linkara’s 400th episode.
 -Discovered I can only scroll back about 10 days on Facebook.

MUST DO items in the coming week:
 -Cappies Gala celebration Sunday night.
 -Finish setting exams for my courses by Monday.
 -Finish drawing/inking a math comic by Monday.
 -Doctor’s appointment on Monday.
 -Staff meeting on Tuesday.
 -Kinesiologist appointment on Wednesday.
 -Teacher’s Council meeting on Thursday.
 -Finish grading a set of exponential tasks.
 -Finish setting two tests by Friday.
 -Finish setting alternative evaluations for a student who had been away.
 -Book a nice place for dinner (relatives coming to town).
 -Another 2,000 words on my web serial.



WOULD BE NICE items:
 -Post about Cubic Formula oddities
 -Send in receipts for PD reimbursement
 -Book an eye appointment (been over 3 years)
 -Post recap about OAME (from May)
 -Post recap about Math PD (from Feb)
 -Housework (mow lawn + replace burned out bulbs)
 -Catch up with #OttSlowChat on Twitter
 -Catch up with web serials I’ve enjoyed
 -Start marking Data Summative Reports
 -Write a TANDQ article on Decision Fatigue
 -Post recap about CAN-CON (from Oct)
 -Get a banner done for my T&T story
 -Recreate a buffer for my math comic
 -Update my Twitter Profile graphic
 -Create video for Cubic Formula song
 -Do some editing on my T&T story
 -Actually market some of my creative stuff
 -Catch up on “Sailor Moon Crystal” (no spoilers!)
 -Catch up on “Bones” (no spoilers!)
 -Get back onto tumblr
 -Read some of the books sitting at my desk

There’s some other things that’d be nice, but no way I’ll get to all that this week anyway. And that’s where I’m at, starting June, with 4 weeks left of the 2015-16 school year. Come back next week to see what got done. #StillInSchool

No Previous! INDEX Next

No comments:

Post a Comment